¾ cup quinoa
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
½ cup water
4 chicken breasts
1 ½ mango
1 red bell pepper
¼ cup chopped green onion
3 T lemon juice
1 ½ T olive oil
1 T red wine vinegar
3 kale leaves, chopped
¼ – ½ cup cilantro, to taste, chopped
¼ – ½ cup mint, to taste, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
2. Grill chicken; allow to cool and then slice into strips.
3. Dice mango and red bell pepper; chop kale, scallions, cilantro, and mint.
4. Zest lemon. Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
5. Toss quinoa with dressing; add mango, red bell pepper, kale, scallions, cilantro, and mint. Top with sliced chicken.
6. Garnish with cilantro, mint, and lemon zest; season to taste with salt and pepper.If you want more greens, serve over a bed of kale, arugula, or spinach.
Why should you eat this?
Like the Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry, this dish is packed with clean, functional foods – perfect for “the day after” you’ve splurged and want to get back on track. It’s also an ideal post-workout meal for athletes: 29 grams of protein will help rebuild muscle fibers, and complex carbohydrate from quinoa will restore lose glycogen. Quinoa is also rich source of calcium – necessary for proper muscle contraction – and potassium, to promote proper hydration. Kale is colored with chlorophyll, a pigment that oxygenates the blood and improves red blood cell counts to help you power through future workouts, and mangoes contain flavanoids that reduce inflammation.
Since this meal is best served chilled, make it on Sunday and use it as a quick stand-in meal on busy nights or bring it to the office for an easy lunch.
Per serving: 351 calories, 29 g protein, 40 g carbs, 4.6 g fiber, 10 g fat